Responsible for performing technical duties in support of the ATLSS Engineering Research Center under general supervision. Job duties include specimen and fixture fabrication; work in a two-person technician crew; setup large and complex test assemblies; rigging and material handling; form and pour concrete; setup high capacity test machines; and perform tests; act as Lead Technician in ATLSS laboratory for critical welding and certified welding. The Lehigh community takes seriously our commitment to antiracism and The Principles of our Equitable Community.
1. Fabricate by welding steel, stainless steel and aluminum fixtures, components and tests specimens for structural lab testing *Lead Technician at ATLSS for welding; discuss project requirements; plan necessary welding work from drawings, sketches or specifications *Layout the components to be welded; prepare the surfaces by grinding; select and set up welding equipment *Perform manual and semiautomatic welding; perform submerged arc (SMAW), Gas tungsten arc (TIG) and gas metal arc (MIG) welding as needed; weld in a variety of positions *Execute the planned welds and examine welds to ensure that they meet standards of specifications; fit pieces to be welded, tack weld and weld either certified and non-certified weld joints as needed *Wear appropriate personal protective equipment to perform the task safely *Perform welds in laboratory and outside environments
2. Fabricate fixtures, components and specimens for structural lab testing *Discuss project requirements with faculty, student, staff researchers and lab foreman; read and interpret engineering drawings, blueprints and sketches; layout components for proper placement of holes, attachments, locations to cut or burn utilizing power tools, oxygen acetylene burning equipment, plasma cutter, welding equipment, machine shop machines, portable drill and hand tools drill, cut, shape, burn, weld and grind components for fixtures and test specimens *Fabricate wooden pallets, boxes and platforms for shipping, specialty and environmental enclosures and work platforms; fabricate wooden forms for concrete construction; cut, bend and place reinforcing rod, cages and mesh in concrete formwork *Mix cement, pour, compact, level and float the concrete using concrete tools *Wear appropriate personal protective equipment to perform the task safely
3. Set up tests in the ATLSS Laboratory *Work individually or in teams; rig loads to be lifted; unload test specimens and equipment from trucks using overhead crane and forklift *Install hydraulic actuators in the test frames and on the reaction walls *Change out test specimens at test conclusion; dismantle set up *Wear appropriate personal protective equipment to perform the task safely
4. Perform technician duties outside 12 months of the year in a wide range of environmental conditions *Weld fixtures and components outside using forklifts to move fixtures and specimens; place protective coverings on critical specimens, fixtures and components *Setup tests that are to be performed outside: clear space for test components and access; form and pour concrete and other structures as needed; install and erect test fixtures, bracing and assemble test specimens *Assist with instrumentation fixture setup; assist with performing test; disassemble test specimen; dismantle test setup when all testing is complete; store test components, fixtures and loading equipment outside
5. Setup test machines in the ATLSS Mechanical Test Laboratory. *Work in a two person team *Using forklift, hand trucks and overhead hoist, install fixtures, hydraulic actuators, hand operated jacks, and test specimens in the 600,000 pound Satec test machine *Install lateral bracing and other brackets and hardware to restrict specimen motion and mount instrumentation to measure specimen response *Manually lift, pull or push large and heavy objects into place while installing fixtures and specimens at elevations to ft in the 600,000 pound test machine *Install blast shields on the 600,000 pound test machines to contain fixtures and specimens that may fail during testing *Secure fixtures and specimens extending through the top of the test machines to prevent launching parts during testing *Following testing, remove test specimens and fixtures from the test machine using the appropriate material handling equipment. *Secure test specimens and equipment appropriately for examination by researchers, storage or safe shipping; setup test specimens and fixtures in the 60,000 pound test machine and the 55,000 pound MTS test machine
6. Perform technician responsibilities in support of field test group *Travel with field test group in and out of state *Assist with setup and installation of sensors on bridges *Operate man lift *Place and secure electronic cables *Setup and install hardware to support data acquisition system and other equipment under direction of project engineer or delegate *Work at elevations using fall protection equipment; work outside in a variety of environmental conditions
Position Number: S74040
This position has fiscal or financial responsibilities other than employee expense activity, such as processing or approving transactions; monitoring or preparing budgets; or generating income for University
The duties of the position do not allow for a remote work option; the employee in this position will be required to work on campus where they can be fully accessible to the Lehigh community
Will often be required to walk, stand, sit, climb, kneel, crouch, crawl, lift up to 100 pounds, work near moving mechanical parts, work near chemicals, in extreme non-weather heat and in areas with risk of electrical shock
Will nearly continuously use hands and arms to reach, feel and handle objects
Will continuously need to speak and hear
Associates or Vocational/Technical Degree or equivalent combination of education and experience
Five to eight years related work experience
Experience reading and interpreting engineering drawings, blueprints and sketches
Experience performing manual and semiautomatic welding; submerged arc (SMAW), gas tungsten arc (TIG), and gas metal arc (MIG) welding
Significant attention to detail
Ability to complete projects on time and on budget, and report on status and progress
Ensure timely performance in a safe manner
Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
Solid writing ability, attention to detail and organizational skills
Solid computer skills
Successful completion of standard background checks including but not limited to: social security verification, education verification, national criminal background checks, motor vehicle checks, PATCH, FBI fingerprinting, Child Abuse Clearance and credit history based upon the requirements of the position
Only complete applications will be considered therefore please complete the application in its entirety. Once the posting is removed from the website applications may no longer be allowed to be completed.
Internal Number: 499410
About Lehigh University
Lehigh is a premier residential research university, ranked in the top tier of national research universities each year. We are a coeducational, nondenominational, private university that offers a distinct academic environment of undergraduate and graduate students from across the globe.
Founded in 1978 by electronics technicians, ETA® International is a not-for-profit 501(c) 6 association whose mission is to represent and support the technical professional. ETA offers over 80 accredited, vendor-neutral certification programs in a variety of technology fields such as fiber optics, communications, electronics, biomedical, smart home, and renewable energy.
ETA aligns with the ISO 17024 standard, vocational and education curriculums, and businesses’ resource initiatives through certification programs, conferences, and publications. Download ETA's Certification Booklet to see how ETA can help your career, business, or school.
Enter your email to stay up to date with the latest ETA news and offers!
Members can access the Members Only area for issues of the High Tech News, practice exams, and more. Certification Administrators can also download forms, order exams, and review exam information.
Career Resource Center
Ready for a career change? Sign up for ETA’s Career Resource Center (CRC)! ETA offers employers and job seekers a FREE way to connect and match skills with the most in-demand careers available.
Trapeza Online Testing
Sign in to ETA's online testing center to take scheduled exams, view scores, and review certifications.