Full job description and OFFICIAL application available ONLY at:http://220.127.116.11/counter.php?id=186596
Are you interested in creating an amazing educational environment for students who are part of an equity driven community? Staff at Cabrillo College support quality programs and services to students that promote their diverse and evolving needs as they progress toward their individual educational goals. Come join us in our vision to improve the world, one student at a time!
This full-time, 12-months per year position performs complex, technical and detailed work in preparing, reviewing, auditing and processing of payroll records, documents and related materials which requires knowledge of payroll including knowledge of retirements, leaves of absence, benefits concepts, and regulations; provides support to college financial, business and accounting function.
The ideal candidate will share Cabrillo's commitment to educating its racially and socioeconomically diverse student population. Cabrillo College serves approximately 11,400 students per term, of which 44% are LatinX, 5% multi-ethnic, 2.75% Asian, 1.25% African-American, 1% Filipino, 0.25% American Indian or Alaskan Native, and 0.18% Pacific Islander as of Fall 2019. In 2006, Cabrillo College was designated a Hispanic-Serving Institution, reflecting the great responsibility that the College has to the educational attainment and economic well-being of the surrounding community.
As a classified staff member at Cabrillo College, you will join a vibrant community of professionals and educators working together to provide a positive educational environment where our students experience diverse academic and cultural perspectives.
Examples of Duties
• Reviews, interprets, and implements laws and governmental regulations, collective bargaining agreements, district policies/administrative procedures and regulations as they apply to payroll
• Prepares, reviews and processes payroll records, documents and related materials for all college employees
• Prepares accurate mathematical and/or statistical calculations of salary, deductions, leave adjustments, merit pay andwage adjustments; reviews and reconciles a variety of payroll reports
• Audits documents for completeness, accuracy and conformance with regulations, policies, and procedures
• Prepares and processes documents for cash transfer between the County Treasury and the College's merchant bank for electronic payroll and tax remittances
• Calculates, prepares, reviews, and transmits electronic payment of current payroll tax liability and garnishments to Federal and State agencies, including quarterly reports
• Maintains a collaborative relationship with Human Resources
• Prepares and transmits file to the College's merchant bank for direct deposits
• Maintains and updates data in the payroll computer system
• Maintains records for employee payroll deductions
• Prepares and submits reports and remittances for various taxing, financial and insurance organizations
• Interprets and provides information pertaining to legal mandates, policies, regulations, payroll operational guidelines and various related areas such as retirement (PERS/STRS) to College employees
• Assists in the formulation of improved payroll record management and reporting systems and procedures
• Maintains, updates and reconciles employee leave records and calculates pay adjustments as needed
• Compiles, researches, and prepares a variety of periodic and special reports related to the payroll function
• Reconciles deductions for benefit programs
• Releases payroll information to legally authorized agencies
• Maintains retirement plan records and prepares reports
• Organizes and maintains various records and files
• Provides support to varied general accounting functions
• May coordinate the work of temporary staff assigned to assist with the payroll function
• Demonstrates sensitivity to and understanding of diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation and ethnic backgrounds of community college students, faculty and staff.
• Performs related duties as required or assigned
Education and Experience:
Equivalent to completion of two years of college with major coursework in accounting, business administration or a related field and three years of experience which has involved preparing, reviewing and processing payroll and related documents. At least one year with primary responsibility for a large, complex payroll.
Please note: Additional experience may be substituted for the education on a year-for-year basis.
• Payroll experience in a California school or community college
• Experience using an ERP, such as Colleague
• Recordkeeping requirements, rules and regulations related to the payroll process
• Payroll reporting procedures of county, state and federal agencies and insurance and financial firms
• Office practices and procedures, including filing and the operation of standard office equipment
• Retirement, leaves of absence, and benefit terminology
• Basic business data processing principles and software applications related to payroll processing, including word processing and spreadsheet software
• General accounting and auditing principles and practices
• Business mathematics, including percentages, decimals and bookkeeping
• Maintain detailed and accurate payroll records and files
• Interpret, explain and apply complex labor and tax laws, rules, and policies
• Monitor and produce accurate payroll records, documents and related reports
• Demonstrate sensitivity to and understanding of diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, and ethnic backgrounds of community college students and the community
• Coordinate multiple projects and meet critical deadlines
• Compile and reconcile complex numerical and financial data
• Use initiative and sound judgment within established procedural guidelines
• Prioritize work, coordinate several activities and following up as required
• Operate standard office equipment, including a computer and various software such as word processing, spreadsheet, and databases
• Establish and maintain effective working relationships
Starting Salary Range: $4,222 to $4,655 per month; maximum initial salary step placement on the classified salary schedule (Download PDF reader) is step 3. Full-time assignment, 12 months per year. Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. with evenings and weekends as required. Position scheduled to begin as soon as possible, pending continued funding and Governing Board ratification. Salary is subject to proration based on beginning date of assignment.
Benefits: Our comprehensive benefits package includes medical, dental, life, short and long term, and vision (optional) insurance provided at a share of cost on a pretax basis, CalPERS Retirement and an Employee Assistance Program. Please see the Benefits link on the HR webpage for more information.
Internal Number: 10932
About Cabrillo College
Cabrillo College empowers students to be effective communicators, critical thinkers, and responsible world citizens. With a commitment to quality and equity, we connect all learners to pathways that propel them from where they are to where they aspire to be, including: academic, personal, and career growth.
Founded in 1978 by electronics technicians, ETA® International is a not-for-profit 501(c) 6 association whose mission is to represent and support the technical professional. ETA offers over 80 accredited, vendor-neutral certification programs in a variety of technology fields such as fiber optics, communications, electronics, biomedical, smart home, and renewable energy.
ETA aligns with the ISO 17024 standard, vocational and education curriculums, and businesses’ resource initiatives through certification programs, conferences, and publications. Download ETA's Certification Booklet to see how ETA can help your career, business, or school.
Enter your email to stay up to date with the latest ETA news and offers!
Members can access the Members Only area for issues of the High Tech News, practice exams, and more. Certification Administrators can also download forms, order exams, and review exam information.
Career Resource Center
Ready for a career change? Sign up for ETA’s Career Resource Center (CRC)! ETA offers employers and job seekers a FREE way to connect and match skills with the most in-demand careers available.
Trapeza Online Testing
Sign in to ETA's online testing center to take scheduled exams, view scores, and review certifications.