Under general supervision, will assist in managing the computer systems, telephone system, internet systems and software applications used by the cooperative and its members. Execute the duties required to plan, build, and maintain computer communications and interconnection systems. Perform the function of helping and supporting NHEC and member’s computer systems and users. Comply with safe operation procedures and established regulations and standards.
The Network Specialist indirectly influences employees in the Network Services, Metering Services, Electronic Services, Telecommunications, Dynamic Scheduling, and SCADA areas with regards to equipment design, installation, maintenance, and reporting. Works with all company employees to increase use, effectiveness, and knowledge of IT skills, as needed.
The Network Specialist interacts with employees at the five member cooperatives, Newberry ECI, Santee Cooper, Duke Energy, CEPCI, and SCE&G to administer shared computer networks, as well as, third party vendors and consultants who provide products and services.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The tasks listed below are those that represent the majority of the time spent working in this class. Management may assign additional tasks related to the type of work of the class as necessary.
· Assists in maintaining the mainframe and personal computer network system by diagnosing and isolating malfunctioning components, attaching or removing devices as needed by users, loading new applications, and testing new software, among others to ensure that the computer network is functioning properly and efficiently and meets the user's needs.
· Assists the Cooperative’s members with questions and assists field technicians with networking aspects of the wireless system to provide stable service.
· Assists the Systems Administrator with microcomputer and network maintenance and software applications and provides backup on this computer system and the associated hardware as requested or required to assure that one who is familiar with the mechanics of the computer network system is available to provide assistance at all times.
· Maintains and develops necessary internet applications for the Cooperative such as e-mail, VPN software, SCADA, Dynamic Scheduling, etc. to assure these resources are available and effectively used by employees, related businesses and customers.
· Assists with telephone, network, and communication equipment troubleshooting and repairs to maintain these systems.
· Ascertains knowledge of applicable hardware and software systems and provides technical assistance and training to users as requested or directed to help users become more proficient in the use of the personal computer network system.
· Analyzes requests for data processing needs, recommends solutions and develops and/or implements the needed software or programs to obtain required information for the Cooperative in an accurate, usable and efficient manner.
· Maintains a current knowledge of improvements and upgrades of network systems utilized by the Cooperative and its members and recommends changes as needed to assure the Cooperative is taking advantage of the most efficient, cost effective equipment.
· In addition to these responsibilities, may be assigned by the Manager of Information Systems or Systems Administrator to perform other duties from time to time.
ADDITIONAL JOB FUNCTIONS
Remain on call as scheduled or needed to assist with outages during and after normal work hours. Maintain a working knowledge of the SCADA system and emergency response procedures. Performs other incidental and related duties as required and assigned.
Requires two to five years experience in computer technology; or an equivalent combination of education and experience which provides the required skills, knowledge, and abilities. Preferred experience in the areas of: local and wide area network design and maintenance; server and PC operating system installation, configuration and maintenance; office automation software usage; computer hardware installation, configuration and repair; server and network security systems; firewalls; and backup systems. Strong communication skills required.
Microsoft Certified Systems Administrator (MCSE)
Microsoft Windows PC OS (MCDST, MCP)
A+ hardware certification
N+ network certification
Technologies familiarity desired:
Card Reader Security Systems
Exchange Server Administration
About New Horizon Electric Cooperative Inc
New Horizon Electric Cooperative, Inc. is a member-owned, nonprofit cooperative with five electric membership cooperatives in the upstate of South Carolina.
Founded in 1978 by electronics technicians, ETA® International is a not-for-profit 501(c) 6 association whose mission is to represent and support the technical professional. ETA offers over 80 accredited, vendor-neutral certification programs in a variety of technology fields such as fiber optics, communications, electronics, biomedical, smart home, and renewable energy.
ETA aligns with the ISO 17024 standard, vocational and education curriculums, and businesses’ resource initiatives through certification programs, conferences, and publications. Download ETA's Certification Booklet to see how ETA can help your career, business, or school.
Enter your email to stay up to date with the latest ETA news and offers!
Members can access the Members Only area for issues of the High Tech News, practice exams, and more. Certification Administrators can also download forms, order exams, and review exam information.
Career Resource Center
Ready for a career change? Sign up for ETA’s Career Resource Center (CRC)! ETA offers employers and job seekers a FREE way to connect and match skills with the most in-demand careers available.
Trapeza Online Testing
Sign in to ETA's online testing center to take scheduled exams, view scores, and review certifications.