This is a Tuesday - Saturday, 8:00 am - 4:30 pm role in our Grafton location.
Tufts University's Facilities department provides professional, high quality and cost effective services to the faculty, staff and students of the University. This commitment includes planning, building, maintaining and operating the department to maximize long-term value. Each Facilities employee is expected to meet the needs of our customers and to strive to exceed their expectations.
Primarily responsible for performing repairs and maintenance (and possible installations) to a variety of equipment including, but not limited to: refrigeration, air conditioning, electric motors, heating units, motor controllers, waste/supply lines, light commercial furnaces, boilers, burners, intake and exhaust fans, VAV boxes.
TECHNICAL KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED:
1. Understands basic refrigeration cycle to include: identifying components in refrigeration circuit, understanding how each component works, diagnosing problems in the refrigeration circuit, using manifold gauge set, pressure/temperature chart and temperature measuring devices for routine maintenance and to troubleshoot. Understands refrigeration recovery, evacuation and charging process and regulations.
2. Understands basic electron theory, how electricity travels, AC and DC currents, single phase and three phase circuits, and series and parallel circuits. Ability to read basic wiring diagrams. Understanding of Ohms Law. Ability to use multi-meters to read voltage, current and resistance values. Must be able to troubleshoot basic electrical circuits.
3. Understands the process of treating air so as to simultaneously control its temperature, humidity, and distribution. Must be able to read and understand mechanical drawings.
4. Understands basic heating cycle to include: identifying components in heating system, understanding how each component works, diagnosing problems in the heating system using a gas pressure test and other devices for routine maintenance and to troubleshoot. Understands the theory of combustion and how it relates to combustible fuels such as gas and oil.
5. Understands basic installation, repairing and maintaining pipes, fixtures and other plumbing used for water distribution and waste water disposal in commercial and industrial buildings.
6. Understands how to read blueprints, drawings and specifications to determine the layout of plumbing systems, water supply networks and waste and drainage systems. With the ability to connect tubing and fittings using solder paste, or solder and torch, to form sewer, drain, and water lines.
Must hold either a current Massachusetts refrigeration, plumbing or electrical license.
Preferably 10+ years of professional experience in the facilities maintenance industry.
Must have a high school diploma or equivalent GED certificate.
Valid driver's license
Reliable transportation and clean driving record
Ability to complete work proactively as well as on an urgent/immediate basis
Excellent communication and team-building skills
Must have excellent oral and written communications skills
Must possess excellent time management skills
Must work well under pressure and be able to perform urgent equipment repairs
Must have the ability to juggle multiple tasks and prioritize competing requirements
Must be able to deal with difficult people and/or stressful scenarios
Must have excellent organizational skills
Must have strong PC and tablet skills; proficiency in MS Office
Must be able to work well with other technicians, tradesmen, students, lab managers, customers, faculty and staff
On-call and overtime hours as needed, per assigned schedule.
Good hygiene and cleanliness is required at all times.
Must adhere to the University's uniform policy.
Follow rules and regulations as described in the University & CBA Handbook
An employee in this position must complete all appropriate background checks at the time of hire, promotion, or transfer.
Primary Location: United States-Massachusetts-Grafton
Organization: Facilities Services - Grafton
Employee Status: Regular Schedule: Full-time
Job Posting: Nov 22, 2019, 9:07:04 PM
Internal Number: 19002040
About Tufts University
Tufts is a leader in American higher education, distinctive for its success as a moderately sized university that excels at research and providing students with a personal experience. Our unique combination of research and liberal arts attracts students, faculty and staff who thrive in our environment of curiosity, creativity and engagement.
Founded in 1978 by electronics technicians, ETA® International is a not-for-profit 501(c) 6 association whose mission is to represent and support the technical professional. ETA offers over 80 accredited, vendor-neutral certification programs in a variety of technology fields such as fiber optics, communications, electronics, biomedical, smart home, and renewable energy.
ETA aligns with the ISO 17024 standard, vocational and education curriculums, and businesses’ resource initiatives through certification programs, conferences, and publications. Download ETA's Certification Booklet to see how ETA can help your career, business, or school.
Enter your email to stay up to date with the latest ETA news and offers!
Members can access the Members Only area for issues of the High Tech News, practice exams, and more. Certification Administrators can also download forms, order exams, and review exam information.
Career Resource Center
Ready for a career change? Sign up for ETA’s Career Resource Center (CRC)! ETA offers employers and job seekers a FREE way to connect and match skills with the most in-demand careers available.
Trapeza Online Testing
Sign in to ETA's online testing center to take scheduled exams, view scores, and review certifications.