As part of the Clinical & Translational Science Institute (CTSI), the Biorepository & Laboratory Services (BLS) program provides centralized biospecimen support services to basic and translational researchers. The Biological Material Procurement Network (BioNet) division of BLS collects high-quality human research specimens from clinical procedures while prioritizing patient care and confidentiality. BLS is looking to add a full-time Specimen Procurement Technician to the growing BioNet division.
Essential Functions or Job Duties:
(30%) Participant Enrollment
- Obtain and document informed consent from patients according to a specific protocol - Verify informed consent prior to specimen procurement if another party is responsible for consent - Notify the appropriate clinical service areas of collections
(30%) Specimen Procurement
- Prepare collection kits and required paperwork - Coordinate with procedures rooms, surgical pathology, and clinical labs for an efficient specimen collection within required time limits - Be able to grossly examine, aliquot, and preserve specimens as appropriate for projects while maximizing distribution of material - Maintain specimen procurement and quality control records - Enter specimen data into database - Transport specimens to and from partner labs for additional processing - Biobank specimens for BLS as possible - Submit tissues for quality control - Sort specimens and maintain accurate inventory - Distribute specimens to internal and external researcher - Abstract medical charts and produce specimen data reports as needed - Carry pager and coordinate after-hour collections
(15%) Prospective Patient Recruitment
- Evaluate research projects to distribute possible collections - Review weekly procedure schedules and evaluate patient charts for potential specimen collections for current projects - Receive and prepare specimen procurement requests from other responsible parties - Coordinate the daily specimen procurement schedule
(15%) Customer and Team Support
- Provide prompt, responsive customer service for researcher inquiries and service requests - Meet with researchers to evaluate needs and the ability of BLS/BioNet to add value - Network with other departments and organizations to promote the advantages of BLS/BioNet involvement - Assist with the training of new staff, including students, on BLS policies, practices, and procedures. - Provide assistance in other BLS divisions as needed
(5%) Equipment and Supplies
- Monitor inventory and order supplies to ensure uninterrupted workflow - Assist with equipment assessment, installation, qualification, validation, monitoring, and maintenance.
(5%) Procedure Development/Implementation
- Assist with the development and documentation of BLS work process and procedures - Assist with ensuring implementation of working orders, protocol specific instructions and all applicable regulations as they apply to specimen collection, processing, storage and distribution/shipment
Required Qualifications (must be documented on application materials):
- BA/BS in Nursing, Gross Room, Surgical Pathology, Histology, Biological Sciences or related field or a combination of related education and work experience to equal four years - Demonstrated/documented knowledge of medical terminology to screen procedures for appropriate specimen collection and to abstract medical information from patient charts - Proficient data entry and computer skills - Fluency in English in order to explain consents to patients and families - Ability to lift 50 lbs in order to lift freezer racks as needed - Ability to follow detailed standard operating procedures - Excellent oral and written communication skills - Excellent customer service skills - Excellent work ethic and teamwork skills - Excellent organization and time management skills; ability to function independently and collaboratively, good problem-solving skills, ability to multi-task - Demonstrated high attention to detail and reliability
- Experience working with patients and obtaining informed consent - Familiarity with clinical workflows - Biorepository, histology, and/or laboratory work experience - Experience with medical charts and EPIC - Knowledge of universal precautions, lab safety procedures, and blood borne pathogens - Experience with Microsoft Office software - Working knowledge or ability to learn and utilize electronic databases - Experience distinguishing and identifying human tissues - Knowledge of HIPAA regulations
Internal Number: 330467
About University of Minnesota, Twin Cities
The University of Minnesota, founded in the belief that all people are enriched by understanding, is dedicated to the advancement of learning and the search for truth; to the sharing of this knowledge through education for a diverse community; and to the application of this knowledge to benefit the people of the state, the nation, and the world.
Founded in 1978 by electronics technicians, ETA® International is a not-for-profit 501(c) 6 association whose mission is to represent and support the technical professional. ETA offers over 80 accredited, vendor-neutral certification programs in a variety of technology fields such as fiber optics, communications, electronics, biomedical, smart home, and renewable energy.
ETA aligns with the ISO 17024 standard, vocational and education curriculums, and businesses’ resource initiatives through certification programs, conferences, and publications. Download ETA's Certification Booklet to see how ETA can help your career, business, or school.
Enter your email to stay up to date with the latest ETA news and offers!
Members can access the Members Only area for issues of the High Tech News, practice exams, and more. Certification Administrators can also download forms, order exams, and review exam information.
Career Resource Center
Ready for a career change? Sign up for ETA’s Career Resource Center (CRC)! ETA offers employers and job seekers a FREE way to connect and match skills with the most in-demand careers available.
Trapeza Online Testing
Sign in to ETA's online testing center to take scheduled exams, view scores, and review certifications.