Join the Pack! A community with nearly 8,000 faculty and staff, and 30,000 students. NC State is one of the largest employers in North Carolina, offering a large range of career opportunities. Visit us at https://jobs.hr.ncsu.edu/.
Department: 420501 - Information Technology-EHPS
Location: Raleigh, NC
Essential Job Duties:
The Security Applications & Technologies (SAT) network technicians install, maintain, and repair data/video network systems. They support a complex network of enterprise security technologies integrated across the entire NC State campuses and several off campus satellite locations. SAT network technicians support TCP/IP networked voice, data, and video systems including intercom, emergency communication, surveillance, bio-metrics, access control, duress/intrusion, environmental sensors, gate controls and remote monitoring technologies. These technicians may perform reviews of project sites to ensure adherence to required technical specifications and departmental project guidelines. This work is generally performed according to documented processes, procedures, and specifications. It is important for technicians to have an understanding of SAT operational needs. Troubleshooting activities may be performed on site or remotely with the use of specialized equipment or network diagnostic tools. Complex network problems are usually escalated to advanced technicians, supervisors, or other senior IT staff members. Technician may involve specific physical requirements, such as transporting or moving equipment, as well as adhering to specific safety rules, practices, and regulations.
Responds to 24/7 service requests and troubleshoots/ repairs interconnected, complicated electronic systems.
Alternates on-call responsibilities.
Associate’s degree in Electronics, Networking, or a related discipline; or an equivalent combination of training and experience. All degrees must be received from appropriately accredited institutions.
- Working knowledge of various types of structured cabling to include low voltage and data cabling installation and termination.
- Working knowledge of how to use trade tools to include a variety of network test meters and multi-meters.
- Understanding of IP configuration, web client access for testing purposes.
- Ability to perform basic network switch configuration, troubleshooting basics including telnet and pinging of multiple IP devices.
- Ability to follow operating procedures and established processes for installation and maintenance routines.
- Knowledge of virtual networking and networking concepts.
- Ability to work independently to complete assigned tasks.
- Ability to learn departmental procedures related to inventory management.
- Detail-oriented and organized with departmental assets.
- Able to consistently track material usage used during installation jobs and repair tickets.
- Work with senior technician to process parts that need repair or returns to manufacturers.
- Ability to learn installation standards and apply standards consistently to technology installations to ensure consistency among SAT projects.
- Capable of learning various manufacturers device nuances, configuration requirements and understanding how these configurations are applied to installation and integration with NC State security network.
- Must be able to lift up to 30 pounds, with or without reasonable accommodations.
- Expertise with TCP/IP networking equipment;
- Comprehensive knowledge of electronic intrusion and duress hardware;
- Knowledge of current National Building Codes, security industry best-practices and licensing, low voltage electronics and NC State building standards.
Required license or certification:
Valid Driver’s License required. NC Driver’s license within 60 days of hire.
Position Number: 00105339
NC State University is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, status as an individual with a disability, or status as a protected veteran.
Individuals with disabilities requiring disability-related accommodations in the application and interview process, please call 919-515-3148. Final candidates are subject to criminal & sex offender background checks. Some vacancies also require credit or motor vehicle checks. If highest degree is from an institution outside of the U.S., final candidates are required to have their degree verified at www.wes.org. Degree must be obtained prior to start date.
NC State University participates in E-Verify. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States.
NC State University was founded with a purpose: to create economic, societal, and intellectual prosperity for the people of North Carolina and the country. We began as a land-grant institution teaching the agricultural and mechanical arts. Today, we’re a preeminent research enterprise that excels in science, technology, engineering, math, design, the humanities and social sciences, textiles, and veterinary medicine.NC State students, faculty, and staff take challenges in hand and work with industry, government, and nonprofit partners to solve them. Our 9,000 faculty and staff are world leaders in their fields, bridging the divides between academic disciplines and training high-caliber students to meet tomorrow’s challenges. Together, they forge powerful partnerships with government, industry, nonprofits, and academia to change our world for the better.NC State is leading efforts to curb nuclear proliferation, develop a smart electric grid, create self-powered health monitors, help farmers confront climate change, and build a new American manufacturing sector. Our award-winning Centennial Campus is home to more than 70 public and private partners — as well as the innovative Hunt Lib...rary, which Time magazine has dubbed “the library of the future.”More than 125 years after its creation, NC State continues to make its founding purpose a reality. Every day, our career-ready graduates and world-leading faculty make the fruits of learning and discovery available to people across the state, throughout the nation and around the world.
Founded in 1978 by electronics technicians, ETA® International is a not-for-profit 501(c) 6 association whose mission is to represent and support the technical professional.
ETA aligns with ISO 17024 standards, vocational and education curriculums, and businesses’ resource initiatives through certification programs, conferences, speaking engagements, books, and other publications. Download ETA's Certification Booklet to see how ETA can help your career, business, or school.
Members can access the Members Only area for current and past issues of The High-Tech News, practice exams, and other member benefits. Certification Administrators can also download forms, order exams, and review exam information.
Career Resource Center
Mobilize your success with ETA’s Career Resource Center (CRC). We offer employers and job seekers a way to connect professionals with the most in-demand careers available. Resume and job postings are FREE.