NATURE OF WORK:
This is technical Neurobiology laboratory support work with scientific research projects in a laboratory setting. Work involves providing support for, and contributing to, NIH-funded research projects by: maintaining inventory supplies, overseeing lab cleanliness, maintaining animal colony, conducting tests and experiments, and assisting with collecting and recording data for research and experimental purposes. Work primarily makes use of neurobiological, physiological, and molecular techniques including but not limited to immunoblotting, molecular cloning, DNA gel electrophoresis, cell culturing, fluorescence microscopy, electrophysiology, and mouse behavior (depression, anxiety, pain, cognitive). Experience with these techniques is an asset. Assignments and work evaluation will be received from the professor/grant administrator (Principal Investigator), Dr. Benedict Kolber (www.kolberlab.com).
Additional guidance is provided through University regulations for environmental safety. Supervision and monitoring may be exercised over students and staff working in the laboratory. *This position is scheduled to work 35 hours week between the hours of 9AM-5PM Mon.-Fri.
ILLUSTRATIVE EXAMPLES OF WORK:
- Monitors supplies and submits requisitions in keeping with budgetary guidelines.
- Prepares experimental reagents and solutions to supervisor specifications.
- Maintains transgenic animal colony including daily care and genotyping of mice.
- Conducts experiments (see sample of techniques listed above) and records finding under the guidance of the Principal Investigator.
- Collects data for research and experimental purposes following established research procedures.
- Assists in statistical and comparative analysis of experimental data including use of appropriate computer software applications.
- Reports findings by assisting in the development of written reports.
- May conduct literature searches related to the research project.
- Oversees cleaning of lab area.
- May train and/or supervise student aides and other trainees working in the laboratory.
- Performs related duties as assigned.