Position Number: 010040
Department: Facilities Management (Adm)
Employment Type: Permanent - Full-time
Months Per Year: 12
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
The University of North Carolina Charlotte Facilities Management department is seeking a dynamic individual to join our Zone 3 staff (Center City) as a Facilities Maintenance Technician Mechanical Trades.
1. Perform broad and functionally diverse facility maintenance assignments including troubleshooting the most complex, non-routine mechanical systems.
2. Serve as a technical expert within the work unit in one or more areas of the Electrical, HVAC/R, or Plumbing fields.
3. Analyze building Electrical, Plumbing and HVAC systems, and recommend modifications to achieve better operation or energy efficiency.
4. Diagnose mechanical problems and determine how to correct them, and check blueprints, repair manuals, or parts catalogs as necessary.
5. Use tools ranging from common hand and power tools, such as hammers, hoists, saws, drills, and wrenches, to precision measuring instruments and electrical and electronic testing devices.
Minimum Experience / Education:
Graduation from high school or equivalent and two years experience. Experience in the trade(s) areas related to the position’s role may be substituted on a year-for-year basis.
Preferred Education Skills and Experience:
1. High school diploma or GED equivalency.
2. Associate's degree preferred.
3. Two years' of experience in in the installation, maintenance and repair of the physical plant facilities.
4. Strong knowledge in Electrical, HVAC/R or Plumbing work preferred.
5. NC Electrical license, Journeyman card, EPA License, or NC Plumbing License preferred.
6. Ability to effectively communicate the English language (reading, writing, interpretation and comprehension).
7. Effective skills in verbal, written and interpersonal communications, however excellent communication skills are preferred.
8. Computer literate, Knowledge and skill with Google Chrome, Microsoft Word and Excel, and willingness to learn new programs.
9. Ability to effectively work/interact with persons from different backgrounds and cultures.
10. Ability to foster and create an atmosphere of teamwork with co-workers, visitors, building occupants, and the entire campus community.
11. Selected candidate must have the mental and physical capabilities to perform the essential functions of the position with or without reasonable accommodations.