Broadband VO-IP, Data Cabling Installer-DCIC, Other
Electronic Equipment Technician Job Description GENERAL SUMMARY
Under limited supervision, repairs and maintains electronic and communications equipment. Installs, repairs and maintains electronic, communications and safety equipment.
Specific Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities required include:
1. Knowledge of electronic theory and practice as applied to installation, maintenance and repair of audio/visual, telephone, voice mail, telecommunications systems and other electronic equipment.
2. Ability to specify appropriate equipment needed for individual jobs.
3. Knowledge of equipment diagnostic and repair tools and procedures related to electronic equipment, phone systems, cabling, telecommunications and data systems.
4. Knowledge of building codes related to the job.
5. Ability to operate a wide variety of electronic diagnostic, hand and power tools.
6. Skill in analyzing, diagnosing and resolving mechanical and various electronic issues.
7. Ability to read and interpret plans, diagrams, drawings, prints, schematics, repair manuals, etc.
8. Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
9. Skills necessary to work courteously and effectively with other employees, vendors/suppliers, and the public.
10. Ability to apply basic levels of English grammar, spelling, punctuation, and basic mathematical functions such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, percentages, ratios, etc.
11. Ability to use a computer and job-related software or systems applicable to the essential functions of the job, which may include, but not be limited to email/calendar software, web browsers, word processing, spreadsheets, database software, and various systems of software used by CCPL.
12. Ability to use sound judgment to detect unusual, harmful, or emergency situations and act accordingly.
13. Ability to work under pressure.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
1. Complies with Cuyahoga County Public Library's policies, rules, guidelines, procedures, requirements, standards, and practices applicable to the job, including (but not limited to) work scheduling and attendance, customer service, use of Library property, computer use, personal conduct, and confidentiality.
2. Installs, repairs and maintains telephone, voicemail, data cabling, and electronic security systems.
3. Performs bench repair and refurbishment on individual components and sub-systems of electronic communications equipment and other various electronic components and systems.
4. Installs, programs, tests and activates systems and equipment.
5. Establishes and programs VOIP phone systems during moves, additions, changes, or deletions. Installs, troubleshoots, repairs, and maintains circuit boards, modules, phones, cable jacks, and power supplies for multiple phone switches. Establishes and programs voicemail boxes for all staff and branches. Researches and implements solutions for hearing impaired staff and patrons.
6. Works with Network & Telecommunications Manager to specify, order, install, troubleshoot, maintain, and repair telecommunications and related data systems.
7. Installs, troubleshoots, maintains, and repairs security and fire alarm equipment.
8. Installs, troubleshoots, maintains, and repairs various electronic equipment throughout the libraries.
9. Devises solutions for the installation and mounting of various equipment, such as wall-mounted flat panel televisions.
10. Develops and maintains technical files and records to support repair/adjustment/ programming of electronic equipment, and equipment cost verses repair cost.
11. Installs data cabling and connectors, certifies terminations, tests and troubleshoots issues.
12. Maintains up-to-date files of specifications, parts lists and service manuals for all brands and models of equipment in use. Maintains inventory of parts and equipment. Orders materials and parts as necessary.
13. Researches products and services that are of potential use or result in a savings to CCPL and reports findings to supervisor.
14. Responds to and prioritizes urgent and emergency situations.
15. Communicates with phone company and other services and vendors as needed.
16. Instructs staff in operation of electronic equipment and systems, and assists end users in resolving equipment use problems.
The intent of this position description is to provide a representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities performed by incumbents of this job. Incumbents may be requested to perform job-related tasks other than those specifically presented in this description.
Summary Minimum Education & Experience Required
1. High school diploma (or GED) and completion of apprenticeship, vocational training program, or Associate's degree in electronics repair.
2. At least two years of installation, maintenance and repair of electronics equipment and systems repair or related experience.
Additional Salary Information: This is an hourly rate. Depends on qualifications.
Internal Number: 7042
About Cuyahoga County Public Library
Cuyahoga County Public Library consistently ranks as one of America’s best and busiest library systems. It has 27 branches that serve 47 communities. Cuyahoga County Public Library’s mission is to be at the center of community life by creating an environment where reading, lifelong learning and civic engagement thrive and its vision to be the most convenient library system in the country. For more information, visit www.cuyahogalibrary.org.
Founded in 1978 by electronics technicians, ETA® International is a not-for-profit 501(c) 6 association whose mission is to represent and support the technical professional.
ETA aligns with ISO 17024 standards, vocational and education curriculums, and businesses’ resource initiatives through certification programs, conferences, speaking engagements, books, and other publications. Download ETA's Certification Booklet to see how ETA can help your career, business, or school.
Members can access the Members Only area for current and past issues of The High-Tech News, practice exams, and other member benefits. Certification Administrators can also download forms, order exams, and review exam information.
Career Resource Center
Mobilize your success with ETA’s Career Resource Center (CRC). We offer employers and job seekers a way to connect professionals with the most in-demand careers available. Resume and job postings are FREE.